Dr. Michael Conti PS5 PTA General Meeting Minutes
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm on September 22, 2015 in the PS5 Auditorium by President Cory Seminowicz.
Quorum was reached. See attendance sheet.
Welcome & PTA Team Introduction
- Welcome to the start of a new school year!
- The PTA Executive Board was introduced: Cory Seminowicz, President; Nicole Moulaison, Vice President; Evelyn Chan, 2nd Vice President; Sarah Welt, Corresponding Secretary; Laura Gosa, Recording Secretary; Silvia Santiago, Treasurer
- Communications are important and we want to connect with you! There are lots of ways: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ps5pta.com, www.facebook.com/groups/PS5School/, www.twitter.com/ps5pta.
Committees/Opportunities to Get Involved
There are so many opportunities to get involved with our school!
- Fundraising: In the past we have had many successful fundraisers like the air conditioners in all the classrooms. The PS5 businesses in our zone have given a lot to help the school. Two years ago we raised $1300 and last year we raised $1150. There are needs such as the broken and vandalized lockers on the third floor, the sound system in the auditorium, etc. As we pull the budget together we will need to prioritize the needs. Remember your PT5 PTA if you have corporate matches for donations. If you need tax materials, we can provide documentation. Other ways to support can be found on our website at: www.ps5pta.com/donate.
- There was a question about accepting donated American Express points. The Executive Committee will look into it.
- Events: In the past we have had events like teacher appreciation breakfasts, movie night, socials/fun nights and more. We need your help to come up with new, innovative ideas for events this year!
- After School Enrichment Programs (ASPs): Shout out to Claudia Rosario (former PTA President who did a lot of for ASPs last year and is assisting again this year). We hope to send out the class descriptions on Friday, September 25, 2015 and then, open registration on Monday, September, 28, 2015. Classes will start on Tuesday, October 13, 2015.
- ASP offerings include: Soccer with Coach Sly, Nimbus Dance, Breakdancing, Yoga, Art, Bambino Chef, Kid Bilt
- We will need volunteers! We require two volunteers per class to help get the students to the class, back to C.A.S.P.E.R., etc. Evelyn Ramirez is our After School Program Coordinator and is on site during all of the classes.
- Sign up sheets were passed around for all the committees.
- PTA Membership Info/Review: It is a $5 membership fee and $1 of it goes to our PTA. You are welcome to donate more if you’d like and it will go directly to our PTA.
- Question: Can membership be available, maybe in the Parent Resource Room? The Executive Committee will figure out how to make this possible.
- The Executive Committee is working on a budget and will have it to ready for the next PTA meeting in October.
Open Forum & Additional Questions
- Part of being in the PTA is that you have a place to share your voice and connect with the school administration. This is an opportunity to be involved in your child’s life and school. We would love to see more of that involvement.
Closing Remarks & Reminders
- Principal Mr. Rivero sends his regards for not being able to make it to this meeting.
- The next PTA General Meeting will be Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at PS5.
- Anyone with further questions can speak with anyone on the Executive Board.
Meeting was adjourned by the President at 7:30 pm.